Wednesday, September 6, 2017

the desert suits me

HELLO 

SHOUTOUT to my sister sidney whose birthday is TOMORROW!!!!! Happy bday diddle, I look up to you soooo much. Also shoutout to sister peterson who's bday was last week! Look at all of us growing up lately, wow, how fun. 

oh my goodness it has been an amazing week!!! We have definitely been seeing miracles. Also, we found THREE new investigators this week!!!!!! That was our goal and we reached it!!! It might not sound like a lot, but it's a lot for the desert, and it's a lot since our teaching pool was small to begin with. EXCITING things are happening in Yucca Valley! The Lord his hastening his work here for sure. 

I am loooooving the desert. I think I have become one with the desert. There is a unique style and attitude that people have here and it's coooool. 

Desert perks: 
- we go off-roading on a daily basis in our RAV4 

That's all I have time to think of for now 
haha
SERIOUSLY THOUGH OFF ROADING IS SWEET, it reminds me of the Jeep that I WILL own in the future 

I forgot to mention last week, Sister Blalock has only been in this area for two weeks longer than me (because of an emergency transfer), so we are low-key white washing this area. We have been having fun getting to know the members and we have actually been teaching quite a few lessons which is great! The desert is blossoming as the rose! 

We had Zone Conference last week which was of course a spiritual feast, and on top of the mountain of revelation we received, we got to play lightning with all the missionaries after lunch! It was soooo fun. President Dixon won and it was awesome. 

FUNNY STORY:
Yesterday in gospel principles class, we were having a lesson on the Word of Wisdom. So the teacher asks the question: "what are some things that are not mentioned in the word of wisdom that we should avoid?" So the class is silent for a minute, and then this man in the ward speaks up (he has a sense of humor and also had his 2 year old daughter on his lap in the class) and says: "cocaine." And no one really laughed at all, but then his 2 year old daughter repeats him and confidently says, "cocaine." And the whole class DIED oh my goodness it was soooooo funnyyyyyy. 

Yes, illegal drugs, I'm sure that's exactly what you want to hear about from a missionary, you're welcome

AAAANYWAY

Something that's been on my mind lately has been imperfection. And how that word describes me perfectly (haha). I feel like I am very impatient with myself when it comes to obtaining Christlike attributes, and I often find myself saying, "why am I not Christlike yet??" Which I know sounds silly, because obtaining Christlike attributes is a lifelong pursuit. Well the other day I came across an article in the September 2017 ensign that answered a lot of my questions and gave me a lot of peace! It's called, "A Better Way to Measure Myself" and I invite you all to read it. I realized that I don't need to be perfect. The savior knew I would be imperfect, which is why he suffered and died for me so that I could repent. A righteous person is a person who is repenting. It's as simple as that! Our spiritual direction matters more than our spiritual location. As long as I am constantly repenting and committed to keeping my covenants, then I'm good! Sister Dixon told me once, if you're good with God, then you're good. It doesn't mean that I'm going to be perfect in any way, but what matters is that I sincerely try. If you are not repenting daily, I invite you all to do so! Repentance brings JOY because the feeling of forgiveness is a joyful feeling. And it's all because of our Savior Jesus Christ. 

Ok I hope you all have a delightful week. Send me pictures of all your lives. I LOVE YOU ALL!!!!!

Sister Carina Brown 
California Redlands Mission 

Ps get ready for some cool desert pics, we took a lot of pictures today 





















No comments:

Post a Comment