Sunday, March 19, 2017

Welcome to Cali

Ohhhh myyyyy goooodnesssssss HIIIIIIIIIIIIII IM IN REDLANDS NOW Ok ok ok where do I begin???

Let me start out by saying that I feel like I'm on vacation. I don't feel like I'm on a mission! Here's why:
- there are wayyyyy more palm trees here and green hills and it just feels a lot more like California.
- our apt is pretty nice and it kinda feels like I'm staying at a hotel.
- also our apt complex is called Redlands Lawn and Tennis. Doesn't that just sound bougie?? (I'm going to be using the word bougie a lot in this email) (idk if I'm spelling it right, but for the context of this email: bougie = fancy, rich, nice, expensive, etc) (pronounced: boo-schee) anyways, it's really nice. We each have our own bathroom.We are spoiled little missionaries.
- we drive a 2017 Chevy Malibu. TWENTY SEVENTEEN. And it feels and smells like a rental car, which also explains the vacation vibes. Bougiest of the bouuuuge.
- a lot of the houses here are east-coast-victorian-style houses and they are way cool. So it feels  different. Feels like caliiiiiiiii.
- also for transfers, we all go to the mission office and switch cars and luggage and companions etc, and it felt like I was at the airport or something. Again, vacation vibes.

Anyways! I am loving Redlands! It is soooo beautiful here, and much different than Fontana. The Smiley Ward is great! Being in the mission presidents Ward is going to be an adjustment, but an AWESOME adjustment because the Dixons are just the best ever in the whole world I love them so so much. All the members in the ward are suuuuper missionary minded which is awesome. Also there are some WAY bougie houses in our area with beautiful views. I'll send pictures. One thing I've noticed is that the people here are not quite as humble as they
are in Fontana, but that's fine.

We had a baptism on Saturday for a woman named Kawanna and her five kids. So SIX baptisms! The elders were teaching her so it wasn't our baptism, but we got to teach the Restoration and show the new First Vision video while everyone was changing.

OH MY GOODNESS HAVE YOU ALL SEEN THE NEW FIRST VISION VIDEO THAT THE CHURCH RECENTLY CAME OUT WITH IT IS SO GOOD. I AM SO IMPRESSED WITH THE CHURCH AND THE AWESOME VIDEOS THEY COME OUT WITH, TELL ME WHAT OTHER CHURCH PRODUCES AS GREAT OF VIDEOS AS OURS??? THE CHURCH IS TRUE EVERYBODY

Whoa I freaked out way more than I probably should have there, but really the video is so so soooo good. It is called "Ask of God." Watch it!!! It's on lds.org! Watch it on a tv if you can for an amplified experience. It's only six minutes long. I love it!

Also we had an Irish ward activity on Saturday too! I got to meet a lot of the members there which was nice. I love being able to meet so many new people all the time as a missionary! People are so cool. Oh, speaking of people, my new companion is Sister Marstella! She is from kaysville! She graduated the same year as my sister Sidney (diddle, do you know her??). She has been out for 16 months! Crazy! I'm learning a lot from her. We are still getting used to each other but that's how it always is at the beginning of a transfer. Everything is going to be
greeeat.

Oh yeah, saying goodbye to all the people in the Oleander Ward was so sad. I cried. I love that ward! We got to meet with Lori Frietze on Tuesday night right before transfers, and she was sad that I was leaving and got me a forever 21 gift card as a goodbye gift! She is so cool. ALSO GET THIS: her son Denny is apparently a model, and he was leaving the house when we were meeting with Lori, and after he left Lori was like "he's going to Kylie Jenner's birthday party in LA at some expensive lounge." She just said that all casually. And we were like, sorry what?!???? And she said that he has a bunch of connections in LA and goes there all the time. Apparently he was on icarly and also knows Ariana Grande. Whaaaat! Lori thinks he will be rich and famous one day. Crazy.

One thing I realized this week is that The Gospel of Jesus Christ really is what brings true, lasting joy. We have been focusing on the GOJC as a mission lately, and I have just felt so so JOYFUL lately! So happy. Sometimes I wish I could smile bigger because my smile size can't contain how happy I am. Being in a new area with a new companion can be hard, but I can still feel joyful as I stay grounded in Christ! The gospel of Jesus Christ WORKS! Try it!

I am just loving Redlands. We are going to some unique thrift shops today downtown which will be fun. We also went on a beautiful hike this morning. I will finish emailing people back in a couple hours because I am breaking up my emailing time today. I LOVE YOU ALL SO SO MUCH!

Sister Carina Brown
















No comments:

Post a Comment